Gone are the days when fans were used in the home of only the people who lived in hot or humid weather regions. Now-a-days, the fans have evolved into much more than merely an instrument for getting cooler air. A number of companies produce beautiful designer ceiling fans, table fans, wall hung fans and lot more. These ceiling fans not only serve the purpose of ventilating the room with fresh air but also add a new charm to the interiors of your home. The most common varieties of fans available these days include the contemporary style, traditional style fans, transitional style, outdoor style, and retro style.
Ceiling fans are an integral part of the home décor. More and more people are now giving preference to install ceiling fans instead of central air conditioners. It is without question that this is a good decision. Ceiling fans are very much affordable, and are also energy efficient. However, the benefits of ceiling fans can only be enjoyed when the right selection is done. Selection of the right ceiling fan is just not limited to the right style and color. There are several other factors that need to be considered.
Below is a list of factors to be considered in the selection of a ceiling fan –
1. Decide where you want to install the fan. Most fans are placed in the center of the room, allowing smooth air flow throughout the room. However, larger rooms may be better suited for 2 fans for optimal air flow. For safety reasons, do not install a fan over a bed.
2. Consider the size of the room, so the fan provides maximum efficiency. Ceiling fan blade spans range from 29 – 54 inches – the most popular being the 52-inch model. To determine which size you need, measure the room where the ceiling fan will be installed and follow these guidelines:
- 30″ ceiling fan for rooms up to 8′ x 10′ (small bedrooms, walk-in closets, smaller kitchens)
- 42″ ceiling fan for rooms up to 12′ x 12′ (medium bedrooms, kitchens, small recreation areas)
- 52″ ceiling fan for rooms up to 18′ x 20′ (large bedrooms, family rooms, great rooms, dining rooms)
3. Choose the Appropriate Mounting System. Ceiling fans should be installed, or mounted, in the middle of the room and at least 7 feet above the floor and 18 inches from the walls. If ceiling height allows, install the fan 8 – 9 feet above the floor for optimal airflow.
- Standard mounts come with a 3 – 5 inch downrod, which is the metal pipe that extends from the ceiling bracket to the top of the fan. Downrods are usually either 1/2 or 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Extended mounts can be used to hang the ceiling fan at the desired 8 – 9 feet from the floor for tall ceiling heights. Downrods can be purchased from 6 inches (9 ft ceiling) to 120 inches (20 ft ceiling). Check with the manufacturer or sales associate to determine the right downrod length for you.
- Flush mounts anchor the fan directly against the ceiling. Most standard fans can be installed as a flush mount however, many manufacturers sell “hugger” or “low profile” ceiling fans that are specifically designed for this purpose. Hugger fans are ideal for rooms that have ceilings under 8 feet in height or in situations where a fan with optional light would hang down too low. Hugger fans will not move as much air as a regular fan because the blades are closer to the ceiling.
- Sloped mounts are used for angled or vaulted ceilings.
4. The most vital factor of a ceiling fan is the motor.The motor is responsible for operation and air circulation. Prefer high quality motors with the sealed bearings and heavy duty windings. Ceiling fans with less and powerful and small motors are known to make a lot of noise and also produce heat.
5. Choose the Right Finish. Ceiling fans are available with different finishes. Enamel, wood and metal finishes are some common options. When choosing a finish, assure that it is resistant to fading and scratching. Brass finishes are the best selection as they are durable and thick.
6. Check the warranty of the ceiling fan you choose to buy as different fans feature different warranty. Some of the ceiling fans even feature life time warranty and in home service.
Now with all these wonderful tips, what are you waiting for? Get your new ceiling fan and beat this summer with style!